Where Can You Get Retirement Help?

What to do after you read this post:
  • 1. Get a free copy of the booklet on this topic and learn more (see box below article)
  • 2. Read the related posts (see six boxes with graphics below the article)
  • 3. Ask a question using the comment box at the bottom of the page
  • 4. Give a “like” or “share” before you leave (icons at bottom of article)
  • 5. Look for a different topic using the search feature in the right sidebar

The needs of people in retirement or about to retiree are different than those of baby boomers.   Yet all you see in articles is advice for baby boomers on how to prepare for retirement. What about help for those age 60+ who have already cash ed in their chips or about to do so? Where do they get retirement help?

Good news. There has been increased education, albeit slowly, for financial advisors to help people in retirement. But be careful about the several designations you may see.

The most widely held senior designation, Certified Senior Advisor (CSA) is not a financial training at all. Although many financial professionals gain this designation, so do nurses, gerontologists, funeral home directors and others dealing with older people. The designation is really a training in communication skills and issues of aging and not in financial issues.

The legitimate designation is Chartered Advisor for Senior Living (CASL). However, of the 5 courses that graduates must complete, 2 of them are general and not retiree specific. Fifteen hours of continuing education is required every 2 years to maintain the designation.

Note that this designation is granted by an association which educate life insurance agents so you will want to be especially sure you ask questions about the designees investment knowledge, financial knowledge and on senior tax issues. Be cautious of any other designations held by a financial advisor who contends that the designation has prepared him to give appropriate financial advice for people in retirement. There are several designations that have no substance and are programs design ed to make a financial sales person look like a professional.

Here are some simple questions you can ask a retirement planner. If the professional cannot answer them easily, then move on:

  1. How can IRS section 1031 help me (it helps people divest real estate without current taxation)
  2. What is the lowest possible rate on capital gains that I could possibly qualify for (5% currently, 0% starting in 2008)
  3. Can anyone convert their IRA to a Roth IRA (their modified adjust ed gross income must be under $100,000 currently)
  4. If I want to leave my IRA to my 3 children, do I need to split it into 3 accounts (no, the children can split the IRA after your death into 3 accounts)
  5. Will a living trust help me save taxes (no—the benefits of a living trust that cannot be accomplish ed otherwise is the avoidance of probate and privacy)
  6. What’s the difference between an annuitant driven and owner driven annuity (all annuities are owner driven—if the owner dies, the owners beneficiary gets the proceeds)
  7. Can I lose money with an equity indexed annuity (yes, if you withdraw funds during the surrender period, the surrender charge could be larger than anything you have earn ed resulting in a loss)
  8. Why shouldn't I put my sons name on my accounts as joint tenant so he inherits them directly if I die (you can be deem ed to have given a gift which may have tax consequences and you have exposed jointly held assets to your son’s creditors).

One thought on “Where Can You Get Retirement Help?

  1. Pingback: The Way That Financial Advisors Differ | Invest My Money Today

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *